We talk a lot about making an impact on culture around here. Today we present 5 really cool charities that make it super easy for you to literally change someone’s life. I’ve looked each of them up on Charity Navigator to confirm they have high scores, and they are all trustworthy causes. While these are not the only great causes out there, I believe they are worth sharing.
In fact, if you share this blog post on facebook and/or twitter and let us know in the comments, we will donate a net (see cause 1) in your name. We’ll donate up to 5 nets in the names of 5 different people, so if more than 5 people share these causes then we will choose randomly. You can also be entered to get a net donated in your name if you leave a comment telling us about one of your favorite causes.
And while you’re at it, why not consider making a difference in someone’s life today?
1) Nothing But Nets: Mosquitos are annoying. Can you imagine them biting you while you sleep? But the itchiness is nothing compared to the damage done by malaria. Did you know? Malaria causes 200 million illnesses per year and kills 600,000 people — mostly children under the age of five. One of the best ways to prevent malaria is sleeping inside a mosquito net. For $10, you can provide a net that will help prevent children and adults from getting sick and missing school or work, and it can even save lives.
2) World Vision Gifts: World vision allows you to purchase a gift for a family in need. This gift might be a goat, some chickens, or even a sheep. For a family who has little money or food, eggs from a chicken or milk from a goat can change everything. The gifts are surprisingly cheap too! $25 for 2 chickens, $75 for a goat, or 5 ducks for $20.
3) Compassion International: “You can release a child from poverty in Jesus’ name.” How does that sound for life changing? With Compassion, you sponsor a child for $38/month. They use the money to feed, clothe, and educate the child. You also will receive letters and pictures from the child, and you have the chance to write back to them. It is incredible when you get to watch your sponsored child grow through the years!
4) Free Rice: This one is awesome, and totally free for you! You simply practice your vocabulary, and every time you get a question correct, 10 grains of rice are donated. You spend a little time, learn something, and feed someone. What are you waiting for?
5) Charity Water: World Water Day happened just a few days ago. There are still 800 million people in the world without clean drinking water. Spend the rest of the day and write down every time you use clean water – it’s crazy to imagine life without it. Thanks to some benefactors who pay for their staff and PR, 100% of the money you give goes directly towards creating sustainable clean drinking water sources for people who need it. They even track your funds and show you the results!
What’s missing from this list? Respond in the comments with your favorite causes!